Saturday, February 2, 2013

Training -- Sat 02/02/2013

I didn't train yesterday. I went to see Django Unchained with my brother and some friends around lunchtime, figuring I'd get to the gym afterwards. I figured wrong. So today I tried doing both my Saturday and Friday sessions (although I culled isolation work).

Squats

10xBW
10x20kg
5x40kg
3x60kg
1x80kg
1x92.5kg
3x10x105kg -- I only got 8/8/5 at 102.5kg last week, and I only got about 6 hours sleep last night, so I wasn't expecting great things here. It didn't feel like things were going to go well, either, from the start of the first set. Then something beautiful happened to overpower the confidence issues from last week's session plus tiredness plus physically feeling like I wouldn't perform well: one of the guys at the gym started yelling at me from behind. By the final set, I had multiple yellers, which did wonders for helping me to dig deep and finish the set, because I almost failed due to muscular fatigue on the 8th rep. After the 9th rep, I couldn't breathe properly; I was gasping for air trying to fill my lungs for a good valsalva, but my lungs couldn't hold the air. Eventually, I grabbed hold of whatever air was there and just went for it....and made my way back up :)

Now to walk away fromt he computer and eat roast lamb for lunch.

...

...

..............

...Annnnnnnnnd we're back.

Speed Deadlift

5x60kg
3x5x70kg

Incline Bench Press

10x20kg
5x32.5kg
3x10x42.5kg -- My shoulders felt a bit awkward doing this. I have a feeling it was tension from the shoulder end of pec major.

Press

10x20kg
5x25kg
9x30kg
2x8x30kg

Pull Ups

5xBW -- The fact that I didn't do high reps for bodyweight should be an indicator of how buggered I was feeling by this time. I was only expecting to get triples once I added weight, but got a pleasant surprise.
3x4x10kg

I messed around with some dips and Bulgarian split squats at this point, but my body didn't approve. No proper sets were completed.

Fat Gripz Rows

15x25kg T-Bar Row -- The hook attaching the cable to the handle was in use elsewhere when I sat down to row, so I did a set of T-bar rows instead. When I finished that set, the hook was returned, and I returned to what I find to be a much more effective kind of row.
4x12x42.5kg

I arrived at the gym at about 10:15, and left at about 1:00. Just shy of 3 hours training. In that time I went through 1,800mL of water.

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff. You have my respect for the workout and my deepest envy for being able to spend nearly 3 hours training, working life sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :)
      I'll be back to university in 3 weeks; when that happens it'll be interesting to see how it affects my training schedule. Mondays will be out of bounds for training, as I'll be at uni basically from the time my gym opens to the time it closes, but the rest of the week will be more workable, at least on paper.

      Delete
    2. Another one of these lazy students, I don't know!
      Gym I trained at in my home town was like yours and had a hefty student discount. Meant a lot of student members, many of them seriously hardcore.
      One of the best I remember went on to become a teacher, much as you plan to. He admitted to starting training due to the grief he got for his name, at around 6'4" and over 19 stones this had ceased to be an issue anywmore.
      He also had a thing for old VW beetles, which gave me one of my funniest visual memories. Him and his training partner, slightly shorter and broader, in the front of a beetle, hunched down to be looking through the windows as they basically filled the car.

      Delete

For reasons that are beyond me, I like to hear what people think, so please leave a comment and let's work together to trick random passers-by into thinking this blog is actually popular.